March 15, 2010

Cleaning All Day AND Night

I don't like cleaning, as those of you who have ever lived with me can attest to.  I am naturally content with slightly mussy chaos.  In self defense I have been MUCH better in my married years, no longer is my bedroom knee deep in clothes.  But it is still a daily struggle against my slobbish nature and I can honestly grumble with my kids every chore day.  So trying to sell a house, and KEEP IT CLEAN, especially when five children reside in it, is truly exhausting both physically and mentally.


It has even wreaked havoc on my dreams, with the majority centering on showings and panicking and cleaning.  Night before last I dreamed I was trying to get ready for a showing (shocker!) and kept trying to shove more and more things under my bed to the point it was overflowing about a foot on each side.  Then I tried to hide three HUGE wooden cradles in my bedroom - I vividly remember the panic I felt as I tried to find an inconspicuous place for these mammoth things.  There was a fairy in my room (naturally) and I tried to convince her to put a glamour on my house.  Oh the lengths I will go.


Last night I had another vivid dream.  I was back in college with my favorite roommate (Hi Lizzy!  Nice to see you last night!).  There was a competition in a big office building - teams of college students would take turns trying to clean the place and the winning team would win coupons for free food.  Now, in the harsh light of reality, this strikes me as a huge (and rather clever) scam.  But in my dream we suspected nothing and were determined to win.  We scaled up a huge cliff, won our place as first team to try, and started cleaning.  In the course of exploring (cleaning!) this huge place, I found a room full of mini alligators (one tried to escape, but I put him back in his cage), I saw my brother and his wife (who were living in one of the rooms, Hi M and T!  I'm not sure why you lived in an office building but you seemed content!), and picked up an amazing amount of clothes and toys.  Because we all know that clothes and toys are littered all over the average office building.  I don't know if we won or not, but my dream self was pretty convinced we had.


Please oh please, my dear house, sell quickly.  So I can sleep.  And stop cleaning.  But in the meantime, if anyone knows a fairy, please send her my way. 

9 comments:

Ginger said...

Good dreams! I only have those types of dreams when pregnant... good thing you know that's not happening. ;-D

Melissa said...

Ha! This happened to me too when we had to sell our house. I hope it sells soon for you!!!!!! It is such a trial!

Jaz said...

Nope, not pregnant! But it sometimes feels that way ... exhaustion, interminable wait, the final realization that you will be pregnant (or selling a house) FOREVER ...

Yes, such an annoying horrible trial.

Lizzy said...

I hope that I still looked like my fabulous self in college and not the way I look now. :) Was I cleaning along with you? We were probably a pretty sorry team, considering how clean our room always was in college....

HeatherWasHere said...

Two posts in two days! :)

This is hilarious. I just totally relived that panicky dream feeling when you are trying so hard to do something (run from the bad guys, clean your house) and you just. can't. seem. to get it done!!! Aaak! Oh, that's the worst!

Jaz said...

Lizzy! You were your always beautiful self. We scaled the cliff together (because we're totally awesome) but we must have divided and conquered when it came time to clean, I only remember seeing you sporadically. You definitely weren't there when I was trying to capture an escaped alligator. And you were always a paragon of cleanliness next to me.

Heather! I know, two posts. Wow. ;-)

Lizzy said...

I guess we didn't plead "raw heel" instead of scaling the cliff! Haha! And calling me a "paragon of cleanliness" is hilarious considering how "clean" my house always is.

Annette Tanner said...

Well, after you find and use that fairy... could you send her my way? Thanks.
Good luck on selling the house!

Amanda said...

Oh you so just described my current life!!! Thank You for the laugh!! I so needed it. I've thought about tapeing off part of the house from my kids---just so it would be less work. Wishing you a quick sell!!!
At least your dreams ate entertaining!